Friday 19 June 2009 Podding

This week saw me collect my 4th rejection from Pseudopod – just one more and I get a free wall chart and a set of stickers to track my rejection misery. So, it’s not all bad.

This is a market I would really love to crack; I think I’d sell what’s left of my blackened soul to place a story there. Maybe one day… I’ll keep trying anyway.

Until then, I’ll console myself with the fact that this was my first personal rejection from the head honcho there, so the story can’t have been terrible.

So, to celebrate (tenuous, I know) here’s a link to one of my favourite podcast stories - Under the Bridge Downtown by Gary A. Braunbeck and Matthew Warner.

If you haven’t come across this story before, be warned: it’s not for the easily offended. It’s not extreme or hardcore (my taste doesn’t run that way) but it does deal with a difficult subject matter and it’s emotionally devastating.

To me, this is short horror fiction at its best.

If you’re reading this, Gary (he’s an avid fan of the blog, you know) I fully expect you to link to one my stories too.

6 comments:

Rebecca Nazar said...

I admire your stick-to-it-despite-the-pain submission attempts. Hey, how would you like to help with my living room renovation? ;-)

Good luck, you'll get there.

Aaron Polson said...

I'm with you on the Pseudopod front. Tough market, but sooo many listeners. Thanks for the rec.

Michael Stone said...

I landed one at Pseudopod a long time ago, but I've never been able to repeat the feat. It must have been a fluke.

L.R. Bonehill said...

Rebecca – I’m either determined or deluded. Time will tell, I guess.

Aaron – Very tough market, but I’m pretty sure you’ll crack it before I do.

Michael – I’ve been a listener from the start. Think your story was one of the first, if I remember rightly?

Michael Stone said...

'Sacred Skin' was #4 or 5 or thereabouts. I must have sent them four stories since then but they've never bitten. They've gotten choosey.

Unknown said...

i like the gary and warner story.

...

except for that southern accent warner did for the one character. no. just. no.