Monday 17 August 2009 Hobbled

After my whinge-fest in the last post about not having enough time and wanting the world to stop for a while, I experienced a classic case of be careful what you wish for. The world didn’t exactly stop and wait for me to catch up, but it certainly slowed.

All because of what should have been an innocuous little fall, a simple misplaced step as I crossed a ditch. My foot caught in a hole in the dirt; the rest of me fell and my stubborn foot stayed just where it was for a little too long until deciding to follow the rest of my falling body.

I’ve written about intense white-hot pain before, but don’t think I’ve ever actually felt it... until then, that is.

As I struggled to my feet and tried to walk, it felt as if my foot had been ripped off and I was trying to walk on a raw and bloodied stump.

After hours of waiting in Accident and Emergency to see a doctor, then god knows how long waiting for an x-ray and another wait for the doctor, I was told that nothing was broken, but that I’d damaged muscle and torn ligaments and it would take a while to heal.

A week later and I can just about put weight on the thing and manage to get around, albeit with a rather peculiar and ridiculous gait that would easily qualify for the Ministry of Silly Walks. A walk that’s resulted in much mocking and little sympathy from my loving family.

Still, the upside of all this is some unexpected time off work in which I’ve managed to catch up on some of those things I whined about in the last post. Not enough obviously, but I’m not complaining.

On those occasions (few and far between) when I’ve managed to wrestle the lap-top away from an evil family member, I’ve even managed to wrap up a story or two. My internet allowance has been severely limited though; I only pay for it, why should I get to use it?

What I’ve really learned from this though, is that my blog is clearly cursed in a Monkey’s Paw kind of way and I really must be careful what I write here.

Expect a carefully considered, danger-free post next time.

7 comments:

Michael Stone said...

Eek! Get well soon, LRB.

Rebecca Nazar said...

Hate ditches, always underfoot. Sorry you were injured. Twisted my knee out once, not fun. Get well soon.

Aaron Polson said...

Ack! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Ankles/feet/legs are tender things.

L.R. Bonehill said...

Thanks, everyone. The (not) walking wounded will be back on his feet in no time.

BT said...

Tore ligaments when I was in basic training - I agree totally - white hot pain. Not nice. You have my sympathies.

Still, any chance to slow down and catch up (even a little) is not such a bad thing. Don't forget to smell the roses along the way, you never know when you'll get this chance again.

Benjamin Solah said...

I've never given myself a serious injury.

Perhaps, with work killing my will to live, now might be the time. Anyone wanna come over and break my leg or something?

L.R. Bonehill said...

BT – Cheers. I’m making the most of it while I can. I’ll be back at work and behind with everything again before I know it.

Benjamin – I have a friend who’s a little prone to violence if it helps?